Monday, September 11, 2006

Fall is coming!

Reading everyone's favorite poems and watching the rain come down, and the leaves falling all over my yard, is making me think of the changing season. I don't want summer to go away! As one of Sarah's favorite poems stated "summer's lease has all too short a date"! (I guess you all know who wrote THAT...)

I am thinking about poetry to match the change of seasons, and one of the most famous, and most beautiful, comes to mind, "To Autumn" by Keats. Take a look and see if you agree. I carefully chose the version that I linked to because it has a copy of the original manuscript in Keat's own handwriting that you can look at. You can see how he changes his ideas and words. Amazing. Keats is considered by many to be the second greatest writer in the English language. ( I guess you all know who is supposed to be THE greatest.) Keats died so young. He actually died in Rome and the same day that I had my picture taken in the Coliseum in Rome (that is the picture of me on this site), I also visited the last place he lived, a little apartment next to the Spanish Steps (a gathering place in Rome). They have made in the apartment a little museum in his honor -- he was only there a couple of months, if I remember right.

Well, if the season must change, then celebrate it with Keats, I say! To paraphrase Baudelaire, be drunk on wine, on virtue, on poetry, and, on Keats!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lindzly said...

I LOVE fall and am very excited for everything that it brings. This poem touches on the beauty and change the season creates.
I really appreciate that fruit is mentioned because I come from a small town where the BEST apples are grown and agriculture is what our town thrives on. The smell and taste of apples is what Fall is all about to me. Although some people may view Fall as nature dying, I see it as nature flourishing and my hometown becoming vibrant in color, activity, and economy.

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home