Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Literary Theory and Theories

The first time that I studied literary theory was in graduate school -- this was after finishing my major in English and teaching high school English for six years. So I was deep into literature but had only heard of "theory" -- it sounded rather far away.

So when I started reading literary theory it was a kind of revelation. It was as if I finally started to understand what I had been doing all that, as if things finally started to make sense. I had been trained in "New Criticism" -- I was interested in many other approaches, especially ones that addressed the CONTENT of literature, not just its FORM.

Many of you found literary theory "interesting." I loved what Rachel says on her blog about feminism... :) Yes, we need to look at these "lenses" and see how they can help us start seeing literature, and the world, with new insight.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Allen,

Cool stuff you've got going here. Wanted to let you know that you can now subscribe to my students' podcast about young adult literature. Just go to your iTunes store, search under podcasts for "YA! Cast" or "young adult literature" and subscribe. It's fun! Tell your students!

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home